Is dinner one of your favourite meals of the day? You’re not alone! But it can be hard when you’re trying to lose weight, or reduce your overall calorie intake.
To help you out, we’ve handpicked some of our favourite recipes from the Men’s Digital Weight Loss Course...
Chicken and bacon casserole
This is a one-pot wonder that’s great for feeding the family - it’s simple and delicious with the added bonus of creating only a small amount of washing up!
Duration: 35 minutes
Ingredients: 6 chicken thighs; 1 piece of bacon cut into chunks; 1 onion finely chopped; 1 small carrot finely chopped; 1 celery stick finely chopped; 1 garlic clove crushed; 900 g tinned tomatoes; 120 ml red wine; 1 bay leaf; and 1 sprig of rosemary.
- Heat a little olive oil in a casserole pot and over medium-high heat, add the chicken turning frequently until browned all over. Remove and keep to one side on a plate. Repeat with the bacon pieces.
- In the same pot, add the onion, carrot and celery with a little more olive oil and sweat gently for around 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a minute more.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and stir until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add the chopped tomatoes and the chicken along with the bay leaf and rosemary.
- Simmer with the lid on for 20 - 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with roast potatoes.
Spicy avocado pasta
This is a super healthy and nourishing pasta recipe - perfect for those quick lunches during the week! Plus you'll get your five a day too. For a gluten-free alternative, use gluten-free pasta.
Duration: 20 minutes
Ingredients: 10 g of olive oil; 1 red onion; 1 tsp of smoked paprika; 2 garlic cloves; 180g of sweetcorn; 1 tsp of ground coriander; 1 avocado; 1 tsp chilli powder; 3 lime slices; 3 leaves of fresh coriander; 100 g wholemeal penne; 2g cumin seeds; 1 cube vegetable stock; 1 cup of water; and 1 tin chopped tomatoes.
- Cook the pasta in water for 10-12 minutes until al dente.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a medium pan. Slice the red onion, keep 1 tbsp aside for later, and fry, stirring for 10 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the chopped garlic and dry spices (coriander, cumin seeds, smoked paprika, & chilli powder), then tip in the tinned tomatoes, cup of water, sweet corn and vegetable stock. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop and toss the avocado with the lime juice and zest, along with the chopped onion.
- Using a colander, drain the penne and mix into the sauce with fresh coriander.
- Spoon the pasta into bowls, top with avocado and scatter over the coriander leaves.
Spicy Thai Ramen
Give your instant ramen noodles a glow-up with this quick to make one-pot wonder of peanut satay flavours! For a gluten-free alternative, use rice noodles and gluten-free soy sauce.
Duration: 5 minutes
Ingredients: 1 tbsp of olive oil; 1 tsp grated fresh ginger; 3 garlic cloves; 1 tsp green curry paste; 400 ml coconut milk; 600 ml vegetable stock; 200 ml vegetable stock; 2 tbsp agave syrup or honey; 120 g peanut butter; 2 tbsp soy sauce; 2 teaspoons of lime juice; 4 portions
instant ramen noodles; 1 sliced mushroom (optional); a handful of sesame seeds (optional); a handful of crushed peanuts (optional).
- Begin by adding the olive oil in a large saucepan, along with the chopped garlic and ginger. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the Thai green curry paste and mix to combine. Cook for another minute.`
- Slowly add the coconut milk and a larger portion of vegetable stock to the saucepan.
- Stir well and lower the heat to simmer.
- In a separate bowl, add the smaller portion of vegetable stock, mix in the peanut butter and pour into the saucepan.
- Add in the lime juice and soy sauce. Simmer for five to ten minutes.
- Add in the noodle portions and cook until soft.
- To serve, top with your chosen veg (optional), as well as some fresh coriander, sesame seeds and crushed peanuts.
Men’s Weight Loss Courses
Are you a man that wants to lose weight? You’re in the right place. With a choice of two courses, you can access healthy recipes, exercise videos, motivational content, sleeping advice – and everything else you need to lose weight for good.SIGN-UP FOR A COURSE
Alternatively, if you would like to speak to someone about any of our services, or would like assistance taking the assessment online please contact us on 0300 303 9988 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to talk to one of our friendly team members.