‘Breakfast is the most important meal of the day’ - didn’t become a saying for no good reason. Breakfast restores energy, for the body and the brain after fasting overnight, which is where the name originated from, breaking the fast.
In order to have a healthy relationship with food, we must remember that it is fuel. According to the National Health Service, “Eating breakfast has long-term health benefits. It can reduce obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.”
Why else should we eat breakfast?
- Breakfast foods provide a lot of your day’s total nutrient intake such as folate, calcium, iron, B vitamins and fibre.
- Eating breakfast can prevent feelings of sluggishness and difficulty concentrating - and instead create more energy.
- Research has shown that eating breakfast can help to maintain a healthy weight.
- The routine of making breakfast can motivate you to wake up earlier and start your day.
- Eating breakfast can control urges to snack throughout the morning.
Nutritionists advise that breakfast should be eaten within two hours of waking and in the range of 20-35% of your guideline daily allowance. Here’s some inspiration to get you started:
- English muffins with tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach
- Wholegrain cereal, such as bran cereals or whole-wheat biscuits with milk or natural yoghurt and fresh fruit
- Poached eggs on wholegrain toast
- Porridge made from rolled oats
- Fresh fruits and raw nuts
- Baked beans on Sourdough toast
- Smoothies made from fresh fruit or vegetables, natural yoghurt and milk
- Salmon and avocado on wholemeal toast
- Natural yoghurt with fresh fruit added
Get in touch
Click the below button to take our online assessment to help you understand more about your health needs, prioritise them and find the right support for you.Take the Online Assessment TODAY
Alternatively, if you would like to speak to someone about any of our services, or would like assistance taking the assessment online please contact us on 0300 303 9988 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to talk to one of our friendly team members.